Setting up Free Downloads on Your GTP web site with GTP Contact's Auto Responder Capabilities
Many businesses use a free download, such as a report or pamphlet, to attract subscribers on their website.
However, some people are unsure how to set up their web site subscribe form so that people are provided with that bonus after they sign up to the list.
A common question we are often asked is, "How do I do this?" Here's a recent example:
"How do I offer a download; e.g. a PDF, and then only make it available AFTER they subscribe to my mailing list?"
So, what's the best way to do this?
A Common Mistake
Many people will put the download link directly on their thank-you page, where they send subscribers immediately after signing up. That way, after visitors fill out the web form, they can get the file directly on that page.
One justification I hear for this is that it makes things easier on the subscriber, by immediately giving them the file, rather than them having to go and check their inbox.
And that's true. It is the fastest way to get it in their hands.
But here's the Problem...
If all I have to do is fill something in the form to get to the download, what's stopping me from putting a fake address, something like firstname.lastname@example.org?
Nothing. Nothing at all.
And while it may not seem like something that people do, the truth of the matter is that thousands of such bogus web form submissions occur every day.
Ensure Your Download
So, you need to make sure that the people who are getting that download are actually subscribers.
Doing so only takes a few simple steps:
- On your thank-you page, instruct them to check their email which will contain the link to the downloadable item e.g. Free Report.
- Using GTP's iNews, create new page on your site with a link to the file. Upload using the iNews File Upload tools and create the link (see support tutorials).
- Edit the auto-responder email (via GTP Contact > Emails > List&Edit) and place the link to this page in your auto-response email. This is easily done and our Customer Support Team is happy to show you how. Alternatively, feel free to browse through our of video tutorials!
- For small files, you can in fact attach the file to the auto-responder email as an attachment, and skip steps 2 and 3 above.
Now, not only are you providing that download/bonus to your subscribers, you're making sure that you collect a valid email address for each of them.
And you're giving them the download:
- Direct in their email, or
- Linked from their email to a hidden iNews page for large or multiple files.
This will minimise the support time you need to spend on people who contact you, asking where their download is.
Helping You Succeed
Providing free valuable content to your website visitors is a great way to build their trust and turn them into subscribers and eventually, customers.
But there's a right and a wrong way to do it.
Tips like this are just one way that we're helping Australian E-Commerce Businesses grow and profit through opt-in email marketing.
Would You Like More Information?
For more help on how to effectively reach your subscribers, or if you are ready to start converting your web site visitors to customers, contact GTP iCommerce today for a Free Consultation on your Email Marketing Requirements - Call 1300 856 533.
Click to Contact GTP for Your Free Web Site Analysis and Internet Marketing Plan - Limited Positions